Skip to main content

Stateside

After two days of extreme culture shock in Canada, we just had to get back to the good ol' U. S. of A!


Apparently, getting back into your home country is faster than leaving it. However, it appears that agents from both sides of the border are equally humorless. Who doesn't laugh at a good loonie joke?  Also note the sound of the agent knocking on the van's hi-top. Good thing we know better than to stash the weed up there.



Video Here

Now that we're back, we have some questions for you crazy Canucks:
  • Why do some of your green traffic lights flash?
  • Exactly how much gas do I get for $113.11? (per liter? per barrel? per tank?)
  • At $75 per crossing*, do only your wealthiest live on Vancouver Island?
  • How do you pronounce the number 7?  Hooked on Phonics isn't working for us on this one...
     ---

    * Cost for 1 van + 2 passengers

    Comments

    1. Extreme culture shock? Are you talking about the fact that our product labels have both French and English on them?

      As for the toll to Vancouver Island, that is only $75 Canadian - which is only worth about $75 US right now...

      But did you notice how much better our beer is?

      I hope you come visit us in Calgary, but I will understand if you skip. I will bake some cookies for your travels if you do stop by.

      ReplyDelete
    2. We were just joking about the extreme culture shock thing. We actually felt like we were in an alternate reality version of the US where things were just slightly different and slightly less dumb (e.g. - No Cuban embargo.).

      And yes, Molson is delicious.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Molson? Pshaw...

      There are a million Canadian beers better than Molson (although Canadian is a great beer when watching hockey).

      It's currently snowing like crazy here in Calgary. When would you see that in Phoenix?

      ReplyDelete
    4. We'll have to have a Canadian beer taste test when we return! Perhaps with the fresh baked cookies waiting for us in Calgary... :)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Are you going to be heading up this way? Give me a day or two notice if you are. As I say, we'd love to see you guys, and I would be happy to be a tour guide on the tour of Canadian beers.

      ReplyDelete
    6. We'll be here in Washington for about 7 or 8 more days and then we'll head over to Glacier National Park. We'll be sure to give you some notice if we do head north from there.

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular posts from this blog

    Why Are We Here?

    There are three ways to answer this question: Why are we here? (What are you two up to?) For the past few years we have been watching our budget closely, paying off our debt, and saving as much as we can. This has given us the freedom to pursue a dream. What dream, you ask? A random one! While we do not have a definite goal or specific plan, we have developed some guiding principles: Let life rule instead of work. Explore the country and the world. Trade "stuff" for genuine experiences. Create rather than consume. Develop a spirit of volunteerism. Take odd jobs in unfamiliar disciplines to see if there is something we love, but don't yet know we love. Live in the moment. Work for ourselves as much as possible. Dance outside our comfort zones in order to grow. Find a way to stretch the money we have saved for as long as possible. Identify properties of cities that we like should we choose to "settle down" again. ("You kids back there bet...

    I spy...

    I was looking for directions on Google Maps today when I realized that Google had just added "birds-eye" views for Fort Collins. So, of course, I went to see what our home looks like. Much to my surprise, I found that Google just happened to catch us on the morning of March 29, 2012. Our moving day! So, you better think twice before deciding to run around naked in your back yard. You never know when the aerial photography plane is going to fly by!

    Boeke Prospective City Analysis Matrix AND House Walk Through!

    Several people have asked us how we picked Fort Collins as a place to live so I thought I would share the story with all of you. Or rather, the Matrix. Because that is how we decided. We called it the Prospective City Analysis and this is what it looked like (click to enlarge): Once we were mostly done filling in the Matrix (we had a hard time finding some city data), we sat on it for awhile and "tried out" the front runners in our heads. That would be why we told some of you that we were going to live in Durango...or Prescott...or Seattle...or Manitou Springs (a late entry after the Matrix was completed). But each time, something didn't feel quite right to us so we would move on to the next place on our radar, hoping something would stick.  And Fort Collins did. It didn't wither under the intense scrutiny that I put it under and when we got here to do our final "walk through", it felt right.  And that feeling hasn't gone away. I love that I can ge...