Skip to main content

The Perfect Storm

After Maine, we went to Boston. We really liked Boston and had a lot of fun with Simone while happily sharing her room at the Westin. Thanks again, Simone!


I'll get to all the details later, but for now, I'm going to jump directly to the most exciting part of our Boston experience. On our second day, we were going to take a RIB boat tour of the islands. We reserved on-line, but when we finally got to the pier, we were told that the captain had canceled our trip due to the potential for bad weather. We walked away in disappointment and decided to go back to the hotel room instead - and grab a bottle of duty-free gin out of the van on the way.

And then this happened...



Video Link

...horizontal rain. Rain that moved in like a swarm of bees. Rain so hard that Ellen thought it was hail. Rain that drenched us in seconds. Rain that blew letters off of building signs. Rain that destroyed the camera in my pocket and made this video the last one I took1. Rain that filled the entire parking lot with 4 inches of water in minutes. Really. Impressive. Rain.

So, tell me, Bostonians. How often does this kind of thing happen?

--------

1. In retrospect, operating the camera while it was dripping wet was likely a bad decision. But, after a recent disassembly, some minor corrosion scraping and reassembly, the camera appears to be working again. All except the "play button" that lets me review the pictures and videos on camera. I guess it will just have to be like an old school film camera now and I'll have to wait to see the results until I "develop" my SD card on the computer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Are We Here?

There are three ways to answer this question: Why are we here? (What are you two up to?) For the past few years we have been watching our budget closely, paying off our debt, and saving as much as we can. This has given us the freedom to pursue a dream. What dream, you ask? A random one! While we do not have a definite goal or specific plan, we have developed some guiding principles: Let life rule instead of work. Explore the country and the world. Trade "stuff" for genuine experiences. Create rather than consume. Develop a spirit of volunteerism. Take odd jobs in unfamiliar disciplines to see if there is something we love, but don't yet know we love. Live in the moment. Work for ourselves as much as possible. Dance outside our comfort zones in order to grow. Find a way to stretch the money we have saved for as long as possible. Identify properties of cities that we like should we choose to "settle down" again. ("You kids back there bet...

I spy...

I was looking for directions on Google Maps today when I realized that Google had just added "birds-eye" views for Fort Collins. So, of course, I went to see what our home looks like. Much to my surprise, I found that Google just happened to catch us on the morning of March 29, 2012. Our moving day! So, you better think twice before deciding to run around naked in your back yard. You never know when the aerial photography plane is going to fly by!

Boeke Prospective City Analysis Matrix AND House Walk Through!

Several people have asked us how we picked Fort Collins as a place to live so I thought I would share the story with all of you. Or rather, the Matrix. Because that is how we decided. We called it the Prospective City Analysis and this is what it looked like (click to enlarge): Once we were mostly done filling in the Matrix (we had a hard time finding some city data), we sat on it for awhile and "tried out" the front runners in our heads. That would be why we told some of you that we were going to live in Durango...or Prescott...or Seattle...or Manitou Springs (a late entry after the Matrix was completed). But each time, something didn't feel quite right to us so we would move on to the next place on our radar, hoping something would stick.  And Fort Collins did. It didn't wither under the intense scrutiny that I put it under and when we got here to do our final "walk through", it felt right.  And that feeling hasn't gone away. I love that I can ge...