Skip to main content

Baking in Berlin

Our first city in Germany was Berlin and I have to admit that we were not impressed when we first arrived.

As you know, I do not like to be hot. Well, our time in Berlin coincided with the Great European Heat Wave of 2010. We half-heartedly traveled around the city looking at important monuments and spent our nights lying naked and covered in wet towels to cool us down (most of the places in Berlin don't have air conditioning because it never gets that hot). Not awesome.

We spent about a week and half in Berlin, trying to decide what to do, where to go and how to get there. And then we went on a guided tour.

In the past, I had an aversion to doing anything that was too "touristy". This is completely ridiculous, of course, because I am a tourist and I am specifically traveling to places to learn about them. Now I know what I have been missing: a greater insight into the place I am visiting.

We chose the free walking tour offered by Sandeman's New Europe Tours and covered a lot of history and a lot of ground in three and a half hours. Here are some of the all important highlights:

The Brandenburger Tor...




the Holocaust Memorial...



the Berlin Wall...






the Reichstag...









the Trabi's (tiny little Eastern German cars)...



and the spot where Michael Jackson dangled his baby over the railing...



If you find yourself in Europe and looking for a tour, definitely consider this group. We have since taken their tours in Hamburg and Munich and have been impressed and amused by each one.

Comments

  1. Ooooh...I forgot about the lack of A/C over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi...we are at your parents drinking margaritas and surfing your site....happy travels to you!!...from John, Marian, Judy and Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Taben - yeah, but that means that it's not usually hot there which is good for them in the long run!

    @John, Marian, Judy and Steve - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Are We Here?

There are three ways to answer this question: Why are we here? (What are you two up to?) For the past few years we have been watching our budget closely, paying off our debt, and saving as much as we can. This has given us the freedom to pursue a dream. What dream, you ask? A random one! While we do not have a definite goal or specific plan, we have developed some guiding principles: Let life rule instead of work. Explore the country and the world. Trade "stuff" for genuine experiences. Create rather than consume. Develop a spirit of volunteerism. Take odd jobs in unfamiliar disciplines to see if there is something we love, but don't yet know we love. Live in the moment. Work for ourselves as much as possible. Dance outside our comfort zones in order to grow. Find a way to stretch the money we have saved for as long as possible. Identify properties of cities that we like should we choose to "settle down" again. ("You kids back there bet...

I spy...

I was looking for directions on Google Maps today when I realized that Google had just added "birds-eye" views for Fort Collins. So, of course, I went to see what our home looks like. Much to my surprise, I found that Google just happened to catch us on the morning of March 29, 2012. Our moving day! So, you better think twice before deciding to run around naked in your back yard. You never know when the aerial photography plane is going to fly by!

Boeke Prospective City Analysis Matrix AND House Walk Through!

Several people have asked us how we picked Fort Collins as a place to live so I thought I would share the story with all of you. Or rather, the Matrix. Because that is how we decided. We called it the Prospective City Analysis and this is what it looked like (click to enlarge): Once we were mostly done filling in the Matrix (we had a hard time finding some city data), we sat on it for awhile and "tried out" the front runners in our heads. That would be why we told some of you that we were going to live in Durango...or Prescott...or Seattle...or Manitou Springs (a late entry after the Matrix was completed). But each time, something didn't feel quite right to us so we would move on to the next place on our radar, hoping something would stick.  And Fort Collins did. It didn't wither under the intense scrutiny that I put it under and when we got here to do our final "walk through", it felt right.  And that feeling hasn't gone away. I love that I can ge...