Skip to main content

Potentially Damaging Content

At work yesterday, I tried to stop in to this blog to make a few changes.  However, I was met with the warning posted below.  Great job, Websense.  You nailed it.  This is, indeed, potentially damaging content!

What if people realized that a mortgage contract was a financial and not a moral obligation?

What if people started working for themselves instead of selling themselves slightly short for the profit of a corporation?

What if people started visiting parts of the world that have been demonized by our news media and started realizing that there are fellow human beings living there?

What if people realized that unending material consumption is not a sustainable answer?

What if people realized that they can sometimes rely on each other instead of one-size-fits-all safety nets?

And most importantly, what if employers treated their employees as reasonably intelligent people and gave them the freedom to occasionally take a break at work to visit the website of their choosing while trusting them to still be able to manage their own workload?


Thanks for protecting me from myself, Websense.


Do you know what the real problem is with Websense? Because I just spoke negatively about the impact of their product, some executive at their company could arbitrarily choose to put me on their "black list" forever. Think about the social, political and moral implications about that level of control residing within one company.

Learn more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Websense#Controversy



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Are We Here?

There are three ways to answer this question: Why are we here? (What are you two up to?) For the past few years we have been watching our budget closely, paying off our debt, and saving as much as we can. This has given us the freedom to pursue a dream. What dream, you ask? A random one! While we do not have a definite goal or specific plan, we have developed some guiding principles: Let life rule instead of work. Explore the country and the world. Trade "stuff" for genuine experiences. Create rather than consume. Develop a spirit of volunteerism. Take odd jobs in unfamiliar disciplines to see if there is something we love, but don't yet know we love. Live in the moment. Work for ourselves as much as possible. Dance outside our comfort zones in order to grow. Find a way to stretch the money we have saved for as long as possible. Identify properties of cities that we like should we choose to "settle down" again. ("You kids back there bet...

I spy...

I was looking for directions on Google Maps today when I realized that Google had just added "birds-eye" views for Fort Collins. So, of course, I went to see what our home looks like. Much to my surprise, I found that Google just happened to catch us on the morning of March 29, 2012. Our moving day! So, you better think twice before deciding to run around naked in your back yard. You never know when the aerial photography plane is going to fly by!

Boeke Prospective City Analysis Matrix AND House Walk Through!

Several people have asked us how we picked Fort Collins as a place to live so I thought I would share the story with all of you. Or rather, the Matrix. Because that is how we decided. We called it the Prospective City Analysis and this is what it looked like (click to enlarge): Once we were mostly done filling in the Matrix (we had a hard time finding some city data), we sat on it for awhile and "tried out" the front runners in our heads. That would be why we told some of you that we were going to live in Durango...or Prescott...or Seattle...or Manitou Springs (a late entry after the Matrix was completed). But each time, something didn't feel quite right to us so we would move on to the next place on our radar, hoping something would stick.  And Fort Collins did. It didn't wither under the intense scrutiny that I put it under and when we got here to do our final "walk through", it felt right.  And that feeling hasn't gone away. I love that I can ge...