Skip to main content

A New Way To Get Clean

So it turns out that Jon and I REALLY like to be clean. In fact, I have learned that I will die if I don't shave my legs everyday. DIE.

Yesterday, we cleaned ourselves with a combo of bucket and solar shower in the Los Padres NF (National Forest); we were moderately successful except for when I dropped the bar of soap in the dirt. Jon LOVED that.


Today required a different solution, however, since we didn't think that Walmart would appreciate that sort of distraction in their parking lot.


Taking some great reader advice, we decided to try out the offerings of the Carpinteria, CA community pool. Turns out they discount their normal entrance fee of $5.50 to $2 for people like us who only want to take a shower. Score!



They had open showers so Jon decided to be THAT GUY who showered naked amongst the bathing suit clad masses who were just rinsing off before and after swimming. I was a little more modest and showered in the disabled shower using my towel as a curtain.


So here we sit now, clean and happy, in the community pool parking lot, borrowing some free internet from a kind Carpinterian and enjoying a moment that does not involve finding a place to cook, shit or sleep. It's the little things, right? We may not always have everything under control but we're working on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Are We Here?

There are three ways to answer this question: Why are we here? (What are you two up to?) For the past few years we have been watching our budget closely, paying off our debt, and saving as much as we can. This has given us the freedom to pursue a dream. What dream, you ask? A random one! While we do not have a definite goal or specific plan, we have developed some guiding principles: Let life rule instead of work. Explore the country and the world. Trade "stuff" for genuine experiences. Create rather than consume. Develop a spirit of volunteerism. Take odd jobs in unfamiliar disciplines to see if there is something we love, but don't yet know we love. Live in the moment. Work for ourselves as much as possible. Dance outside our comfort zones in order to grow. Find a way to stretch the money we have saved for as long as possible. Identify properties of cities that we like should we choose to "settle down" again. ("You kids back there bet...

I spy...

I was looking for directions on Google Maps today when I realized that Google had just added "birds-eye" views for Fort Collins. So, of course, I went to see what our home looks like. Much to my surprise, I found that Google just happened to catch us on the morning of March 29, 2012. Our moving day! So, you better think twice before deciding to run around naked in your back yard. You never know when the aerial photography plane is going to fly by!

Boeke Prospective City Analysis Matrix AND House Walk Through!

Several people have asked us how we picked Fort Collins as a place to live so I thought I would share the story with all of you. Or rather, the Matrix. Because that is how we decided. We called it the Prospective City Analysis and this is what it looked like (click to enlarge): Once we were mostly done filling in the Matrix (we had a hard time finding some city data), we sat on it for awhile and "tried out" the front runners in our heads. That would be why we told some of you that we were going to live in Durango...or Prescott...or Seattle...or Manitou Springs (a late entry after the Matrix was completed). But each time, something didn't feel quite right to us so we would move on to the next place on our radar, hoping something would stick.  And Fort Collins did. It didn't wither under the intense scrutiny that I put it under and when we got here to do our final "walk through", it felt right.  And that feeling hasn't gone away. I love that I can ge...