Skip to main content

April Recap: Wrapping up the West Coast



Miles driven: 3041.4

Ferries Rides Considered: 2

Ferries Ridden: 1


Video here


Video here

Number of friends and family visited: 10

Spending



Spending Analysis OR How Exactly Did You Guys Spend That Much??

Food: We are suckers for good food in cities and we visited some great cities this month. 

Auto: We definitely saw higher gas prices this month, not only in California, but in Oregon and Washington too. We are also driving more miles than we expected.

Lodging: We have adjusted our sleeping situation quite a bit. We are sleeping in a lot more Walmart parking lots and interspersing cheap (~$50ish) hotels when we get to big cities that we want to explore. 

Other: I don't even know what to say about the spending in this category. It's the catch-all envelope and includes entertainment like renting bikes and visiting museums/drive through trees, mass transit, tips, website hosting*, showers at public facilities, and ten mysterious Walmart purchases.

Looking On The Bright Side

Soooo, I am going to use our "overspending" as an...opportunity... (ahem) to share with you my Super Duper Budget SecretTM.

Now that I know our real world spending, I've adjusted our budget:


My Super Duper Budget SecretTM is this: I set the budget for lower than what I think we will spend and when we predictably overspend, it will be close to our max spending tolerance. I use stress to rein in the spending.

My mistake this month was setting an unrealistic budget. I was hoping that my strategy would keep our spending low but it backfired; once we knew that we were going to be way over, we gave up and started indulging.

What's Next?


We are in Olympic National Park this weekend and start heading east next week. Look out Montana, the Boekes are a comin'!


---

*We are collectors of web addresses and have over fifteen domains including Sexy Car, Amazing Looking, and Point Sublime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I spy...

I was looking for directions on Google Maps today when I realized that Google had just added "birds-eye" views for Fort Collins. So, of course, I went to see what our home looks like. Much to my surprise, I found that Google just happened to catch us on the morning of March 29, 2012. Our moving day! So, you better think twice before deciding to run around naked in your back yard. You never know when the aerial photography plane is going to fly by!

Chickens Are Scarier Than Crows, Didn't You Know?

The garden is in!  If our Scarechicken does its job, we will soon have a nice crop of heirloom tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, green beans, basil, parsley and thyme! Huge thanks to my parents for their help getting the area ready. It was a jungle!

DIY Wort Chiller

We here at Curious Souls H.Q. are always looking for ways to save a buck or two. So, when shopping around online for a wort chiller for home brewing, we found the following prices: $65 @ Midwest (plus shipping) $70 @ Northern (plus shipping) $39 @ Amazon (plus shipping) So, off to the hardware store... 3/8" (internal diameter) Vinyl Tubing (10 feet) = $4.15 Sink to hose adapter (varies based on your type of sink) = $4.79 3/8" X 20' Copper Tubing = $24.13 Vinyl Hose Coupler = $2.49 Hose clamps (x2)  = $1.70 Band-aids (x2 or x3 or x4) = $1.00 For a total of $38.26 (pre-tax, no shipping), we decided to roll our own. Here's how it went down... ( vid link ) And, of course, there is the joy of having made something all by yourself! Priceless & fun!