The soy milk experiment was a success!! From 577 grams of soy beans ($2 worth), I made ONE GALLON of delicious milk!
Here's what happened today:
Turning the beans into a foamy paste: Moderately Easy
I drained the soaking beans and put them in the processor with some water. What made this slightly harder than totally easy is that 1) I have a four cup food processor so I had to do it in lots of batches and 2) I didn't process the first couple of batches long enough so I had to repeat the processing. The goal with this is to make it thick and foamy.
Boiling the soy bean mixture: Easy But Incredibly Messy
I added the thick foamy mixture to some pre-heated water. Even after splitting it into four different pots, it still tried to overflow.
Separating the Soy Milk from the Okara: Easy but HOT
After 20 minutes, it was time to separate the soy milk from the fibrous bean part, called okara. This is done by pouring the whole mixture into a cotton muslin bag and then squeezing the bag to get all of the soy milk out of the okara.
If you are using regular plastic kitchen gloves to do this, I would recommend putting on liners underneath the gloves.
And that is it! We have soy milk. Now to make the tofu...