Skip to main content

Ellen vs. Homemade Soy Milk - part 1

Jon and I have been eating more vegan than not lately which means more soy milk and tofu. After a conversation with some friends of mine and the discovery of this site, I decided that I wanted to try to make my own soy milk and tofu.

This is a many day process so I'm going to blog about it as I go, which means you will get my totally uncensored opinion of how hard or easy it is. Today involved the purchase of the soy beans and the soaking.

Buying organic soy beans: Easy
I found organic soy beans at the Fort Collins Food Co-op. If you live in a town with a food co-op, you should definitely check it out. We buy all of our bulk items at the coop and recently had to shop at a Whole Foods when we were out of town and wow is the Whole Foods bulk section ridiculously small (Take that, Whole Foods! Your bulk food section is miniscule!) Anyway, here are the soy beans in all their organic and inexpensive glory:


You will notice in the instructions that the recipe calls for one pound (or 500g) of soybeans. It is kind of unclear how much soy milk I will end up with but $1.59 for each batch is pretty great.

Measuring out the beans, cleaning and soaking them: Easy
I used my kitchen scale to measure out the beans and kind of half-ass rinsed them since they looked pretty clean and there were definitely not any stones.

Here are the beans before rinsing and soaking:

And here they are in their water:

So far, so good. Tomorrow the real fun begins.

Comments

  1. I've read that its very hard to make soy milk from soy beans. Since soy beans themselves aren't edible. Be careful since it even can be dangerous if it's not done properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Soy Milk Dangers: Nice Try, Dairy Lobby. Tell me who you really are instead of hiding your domain behind "WhoisGuard."

    "soy beans themselves aren't edible" [citation needed]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I spy...

I was looking for directions on Google Maps today when I realized that Google had just added "birds-eye" views for Fort Collins. So, of course, I went to see what our home looks like. Much to my surprise, I found that Google just happened to catch us on the morning of March 29, 2012. Our moving day! So, you better think twice before deciding to run around naked in your back yard. You never know when the aerial photography plane is going to fly by!

DIY Wort Chiller

We here at Curious Souls H.Q. are always looking for ways to save a buck or two. So, when shopping around online for a wort chiller for home brewing, we found the following prices: $65 @ Midwest (plus shipping) $70 @ Northern (plus shipping) $39 @ Amazon (plus shipping) So, off to the hardware store... 3/8" (internal diameter) Vinyl Tubing (10 feet) = $4.15 Sink to hose adapter (varies based on your type of sink) = $4.79 3/8" X 20' Copper Tubing = $24.13 Vinyl Hose Coupler = $2.49 Hose clamps (x2)  = $1.70 Band-aids (x2 or x3 or x4) = $1.00 For a total of $38.26 (pre-tax, no shipping), we decided to roll our own. Here's how it went down... ( vid link ) And, of course, there is the joy of having made something all by yourself! Priceless & fun!

Chickens Are Scarier Than Crows, Didn't You Know?

The garden is in!  If our Scarechicken does its job, we will soon have a nice crop of heirloom tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, green beans, basil, parsley and thyme! Huge thanks to my parents for their help getting the area ready. It was a jungle!