Skip to main content

The Post You Have All Been Waiting For!

Wherein I reveal the impact of short selling our house on my credit score!


February 4, 2010 (just before the short sale hit my credit):


Note that this was a scale of 830. I used the same company to get my scores both times (TrueCredit) and today they gave me my scores using a scale of 990. Why??? If they thought to confuse me, they FAILED! I know how to do math, yo.

February 4, 2010 in percentages:


February 6, 2011:


February 6, 2011 in percentages:

Comparison:


So my credit score dropped an average of 12% as a result of short selling our house (with one missed payment at the end of the short sale process). I have no idea if this can be unilaterally applied to other people in the same situation; how they calculate credit scores is something of a mystery and predicting what the effect would be was one of the larger irritations during the process. NOBODY could or would tell me. But hopefully this is a general guide of what to expect for those of you going through (or considering) the process. 

Discussion:

What do these numbers really mean, though, when translated into our reality? 

I have spent my entire life hearing about the importance my credit score. What I failed to fully appreciate at the time, however, was that my credit score really only mattered if I wanted to borrow money.

So for someone who is now allergic to borrowing money, how has my less than stellar credit score affected me? To address that, I will go over a few of the scarier predictions:

Myth: You will have a hard time renting a place to live.
"Oh crap, we will have to live with my parents!"*
Fact: Not only did we have no problem getting approved to rent our current place (which is a very cute little house in a great part of town), they did not require any additional deposits and even accepted that we were self-employed (i.e. no predictable, regular paychecks).

Myth: Your credit card could be cancelled.
"Oh crap, how will we reserve plane tickets?!"
Fact: This was actually told to me by a credit repair company. As you might have guessed, our credit card was not cancelled. Why in the world would they do that?

Myth: When you move to a new city and set up utilities for your new rental, they will charge you a deposit to set-up the service because your credit isn't good enough to waive the fee and you don't have a history with the company.
"Oh crap, we'll feel looked down on by the customer service rep!"
Fact: This is the only way we have been impacted by our credit (and was actually not one that we were warned about in advance). But it was only about $100 and is refundable so...not really a big deal.

And now for the disclaimers...I am not an attorney or a certified financial planner; our story is factually correct but obviously anecdotal. That being said, I hope it helps those of you in similar situations feel more positive about the future!

~~~~~
* Just kidding! Love you, Mom and Dad! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I spy...

I was looking for directions on Google Maps today when I realized that Google had just added "birds-eye" views for Fort Collins. So, of course, I went to see what our home looks like. Much to my surprise, I found that Google just happened to catch us on the morning of March 29, 2012. Our moving day! So, you better think twice before deciding to run around naked in your back yard. You never know when the aerial photography plane is going to fly by!

Chickens Are Scarier Than Crows, Didn't You Know?

The garden is in!  If our Scarechicken does its job, we will soon have a nice crop of heirloom tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, green beans, basil, parsley and thyme! Huge thanks to my parents for their help getting the area ready. It was a jungle!

Boeke Prospective City Analysis Matrix AND House Walk Through!

Several people have asked us how we picked Fort Collins as a place to live so I thought I would share the story with all of you. Or rather, the Matrix. Because that is how we decided. We called it the Prospective City Analysis and this is what it looked like (click to enlarge): Once we were mostly done filling in the Matrix (we had a hard time finding some city data), we sat on it for awhile and "tried out" the front runners in our heads. That would be why we told some of you that we were going to live in Durango...or Prescott...or Seattle...or Manitou Springs (a late entry after the Matrix was completed). But each time, something didn't feel quite right to us so we would move on to the next place on our radar, hoping something would stick.  And Fort Collins did. It didn't wither under the intense scrutiny that I put it under and when we got here to do our final "walk through", it felt right.  And that feeling hasn't gone away. I love that I can ge