Skip to main content

Must Be Nice

This may come as a shock to everyone, but medical device reps are not universally loved at hospitals. Some people see us as immoral, blood-sucking parasites that they are forced to deal with on a daily basis.


I encountered one of these pleasant people today and in passing, mentioned that I would not likely be back at his hospital because I was leaving Medtronic to travel for a year. He responded with a snarl


and the words "Must Be Nice". (Please add the appropriate amount of sarcasm to this statement)
Sadly, I know exactly what his passive-aggressive comment meant: In addition to being a blood sucking parasite, I am a blood sucking parasite who is filthy rich. Because only the wealthy get to do whatever they want in life, right?

Now I'm not going to deny my privilege. I was born white and able-bodied in America to a middle class family who loved me and who encouraged my intellectual and social growth. I am one of the most privileged people on the planet.

However.

Jon and I didn't just decide to do this yesterday. We have been paying off our debt and saving up our money (in that order) for almost four years. We have worked hard to get to this moment in our life. We have made many, many choices that have brought us to a place in our life where we can call the shots.

World travel may not be your dream. But the point is, the point I wish I would have made to the guy who thinks I'm a blood-sucking parasite, is that having a dream and working hard to achieve that dream isn't reserved for the wealthy. It isn't even that hard. All it takes is some patience and perseverance. And perhaps a really awesome husband.

Must be nice? It is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Photos courtesy of Bjorn A and ktpupp.

Comments

  1. Hi there,

    I am one of Jon's ex coworkers that left the company before you guys left AZ. I try to read your postings because it is so inspiring!! and I love the way that you two work as a team, so important in a marriage. I will keep wishing you good luck on your trip...and thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Axela!! We look forward to having you along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I spy...

I was looking for directions on Google Maps today when I realized that Google had just added "birds-eye" views for Fort Collins. So, of course, I went to see what our home looks like. Much to my surprise, I found that Google just happened to catch us on the morning of March 29, 2012. Our moving day! So, you better think twice before deciding to run around naked in your back yard. You never know when the aerial photography plane is going to fly by!

DIY Wort Chiller

We here at Curious Souls H.Q. are always looking for ways to save a buck or two. So, when shopping around online for a wort chiller for home brewing, we found the following prices: $65 @ Midwest (plus shipping) $70 @ Northern (plus shipping) $39 @ Amazon (plus shipping) So, off to the hardware store... 3/8" (internal diameter) Vinyl Tubing (10 feet) = $4.15 Sink to hose adapter (varies based on your type of sink) = $4.79 3/8" X 20' Copper Tubing = $24.13 Vinyl Hose Coupler = $2.49 Hose clamps (x2)  = $1.70 Band-aids (x2 or x3 or x4) = $1.00 For a total of $38.26 (pre-tax, no shipping), we decided to roll our own. Here's how it went down... ( vid link ) And, of course, there is the joy of having made something all by yourself! Priceless & fun!

Chickens Are Scarier Than Crows, Didn't You Know?

The garden is in!  If our Scarechicken does its job, we will soon have a nice crop of heirloom tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, green beans, basil, parsley and thyme! Huge thanks to my parents for their help getting the area ready. It was a jungle!