Skip to main content

Collections

I'm a sentimental guy.  I like to collect things that remind me of the good times in my life.  But, sometimes, I also collect "things" for no particular reason.

Our future lifestyle necessitates that I let go of some of those things.  Thanks to Ellen's parents allowing us some room for storage at their house, I don't need to purge all those "things" from my life, but I do need to get rid of most of them.  This has been a difficult task for a die-hard, sentimental pack rat.

For the sake of illustration, I give you a few examples.  First, a non-sentimental example.  I had several records that I recently gave to a friend.  This wasn't too difficult since I know that, with some combination of E-Bay and craigslist, I could probably find most of them again.

I present to you my tiny little record collection:



AC/DC About to Rock


More difficult was the shedding of my T-Shirt Collection.  I capitalize the subject in that sentence because those of you who know me well are quite familiar with said T-Shirt Collection.  I haven't yet parted with all of them, but following are a few samples for your pleasure.




Lithuanian Basketball Team


Finally, a jumbled combination of sentimental, useful and worthless.


Among other things, this 2' x 2' x 1.75' box contained:
  • Every paystub I ever received since my first job as a waiter at Ponderosa Steakhouse
  • Tax documents (older than seven years, of course)
  • Bank account statements
  • ATM receipts.  You Grand Rapids folks will appreciate these ones.
  • Social Security statements
  • Medical records
  • Utility bills
  • Insurance coverage information
  • Credit card receipts
Rather than bringing all this to a shredder, we went camping this weekend and decided to add some fuel to the fire.


Part of my coping process is documentation.  I feel that if I have a photograph or some other record of a "thing" that was formerly in my life, it will trigger the same good memories as the thing itself.  And digital memories are so much lighter to carry around with me.

Comments

  1. Wait... Jon.... send the Lithuanian shirt here!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guys, be aware of homeless people!... Don't become ones too fast... :) Good Luck on your travel!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I spy...

I was looking for directions on Google Maps today when I realized that Google had just added "birds-eye" views for Fort Collins. So, of course, I went to see what our home looks like. Much to my surprise, I found that Google just happened to catch us on the morning of March 29, 2012. Our moving day! So, you better think twice before deciding to run around naked in your back yard. You never know when the aerial photography plane is going to fly by!

DIY Wort Chiller

We here at Curious Souls H.Q. are always looking for ways to save a buck or two. So, when shopping around online for a wort chiller for home brewing, we found the following prices: $65 @ Midwest (plus shipping) $70 @ Northern (plus shipping) $39 @ Amazon (plus shipping) So, off to the hardware store... 3/8" (internal diameter) Vinyl Tubing (10 feet) = $4.15 Sink to hose adapter (varies based on your type of sink) = $4.79 3/8" X 20' Copper Tubing = $24.13 Vinyl Hose Coupler = $2.49 Hose clamps (x2)  = $1.70 Band-aids (x2 or x3 or x4) = $1.00 For a total of $38.26 (pre-tax, no shipping), we decided to roll our own. Here's how it went down... ( vid link ) And, of course, there is the joy of having made something all by yourself! Priceless & fun!

Chickens Are Scarier Than Crows, Didn't You Know?

The garden is in!  If our Scarechicken does its job, we will soon have a nice crop of heirloom tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, green beans, basil, parsley and thyme! Huge thanks to my parents for their help getting the area ready. It was a jungle!