Skip to main content

Lazy Loaf

I need to come clean about something: I use my KitchenAid stand up mixer for kneading my bread.

My Breadmaking Guru* (Rich) taught me how to use it to make kneading painless and it is a vital part of my breadmaking process. It's so easy, I just put the bread hook on, set the mixer to knead for awhile and sit back and drink a Buried Treasure**.

Sounds great, right?

But what if you don't have a KitchenAid stand up mixer? Or......you're just feeling lazy?

Enter Lazy Loaf, courtesy of Nigella Lawson. This loaf sounded perfect for days that I just want to mix and go but, really, is it any good?


I decided to try it out. 



It certainly sounded easy. Just a few things to mix together and then a couple of hours in the oven. Truly for the lazy at heart.  


Honestly, without any kneading or rising I was worried it would turn out to be a brick. And I was half right. This puppy is dense.

But toasted with butter and jam? Awesome. And as sandwich bread? Pretty darn good.

So, in case you don't have your own stand up mixer or are just feeling lazy, here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

2 3/4 cups whole wheat bread flour (I just used regular whole wheat flour)
2 cups best-quality oaty unsugared muesli (do not use granola) (I used 1 1/2 cup oats, 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds)
1 1/2 teaspoons (1 package) rapid-rise or instant yeast (I used regular yeast that I proofed before using)
2 teaspoons kosher salt or 1 teaspoon table salt
1 cup 2% milk
1 cup water

Instructions:

1. Mix the flour, muesli, yeast, and salt in a bowl, then pour in the milk and water and stir to mix. It will be a thick porridge.

2. Transfer to a greased silicon 2 lb. loaf pan (one that's deep and short rather than shallow). Put this in a cold oven, turning it immediately on to 225 degrees F, and leave at this temperature for 45 minutes.

3. When these 45 minutes are up, turn on the oven temperature up to 350 degrees F and leave for 1 hour, by which time the bread should be golden and cooked through. Slip it out of its pan and although dense - it is that kind of loaf - it should feel slightly hollow when you knock it underneath. You can always slip it back in the oven, out of its pan, for a few minutes if you think it needs more baking.

4. Remove to a rack and let cool. 

~~~~~~
* I would recommend everyone finding a Breadmaking Guru.
** This drink is the shit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I spy...

I was looking for directions on Google Maps today when I realized that Google had just added "birds-eye" views for Fort Collins. So, of course, I went to see what our home looks like. Much to my surprise, I found that Google just happened to catch us on the morning of March 29, 2012. Our moving day! So, you better think twice before deciding to run around naked in your back yard. You never know when the aerial photography plane is going to fly by!

Chickens Are Scarier Than Crows, Didn't You Know?

The garden is in!  If our Scarechicken does its job, we will soon have a nice crop of heirloom tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, green beans, basil, parsley and thyme! Huge thanks to my parents for their help getting the area ready. It was a jungle!

Boeke Prospective City Analysis Matrix AND House Walk Through!

Several people have asked us how we picked Fort Collins as a place to live so I thought I would share the story with all of you. Or rather, the Matrix. Because that is how we decided. We called it the Prospective City Analysis and this is what it looked like (click to enlarge): Once we were mostly done filling in the Matrix (we had a hard time finding some city data), we sat on it for awhile and "tried out" the front runners in our heads. That would be why we told some of you that we were going to live in Durango...or Prescott...or Seattle...or Manitou Springs (a late entry after the Matrix was completed). But each time, something didn't feel quite right to us so we would move on to the next place on our radar, hoping something would stick.  And Fort Collins did. It didn't wither under the intense scrutiny that I put it under and when we got here to do our final "walk through", it felt right.  And that feeling hasn't gone away. I love that I can ge